Thursday, January 15, 2009

from crown heights

Dear Dad,

My thoughts have been with you more than usual over the last two weeks.

Sitting on the 2 train to Flatbush, I looked in the hazy reflection of the subway window and saw you looking back at me. I wonder how it must have been for you, moving to the Sounth Side with your loving perspective on life and being faced with the ugly realities of gunshot wounds and polytrauma in the emergency room. Waking up before dawn for a 36-hour workday. Feeling the cold energy of the city, impassive and uncaring. Swallowing your pride and subjecting yourself to the hierarchies of the medical profession.

I see your eyes shining and your warm presence, recognizing the paths and experiences we have shared. I feel your strong hand, guiding me through the long days and reminding me of the rewards that lie ahead. You're here with me, Dad, and I feel your love.

Jer

No comments: